Apprenticeships are a great way to start your career, providing you with the opportunity to earn while you learn, whilst gaining invaluable skills and work experience. To celebrate National Apprenticeship Week, we’ve put together some frequently asked questions below:
What are apprenticeships?
- Apprenticeships are work-based training. Usually, you will be spending 80% of your time in a workplace and then 20% of your time for study.
- Apprenticeships provide an alternative to college or university.
- If you choose to, you can gain a degree qualification via an apprenticeship.
- Apprenticeships are a job, meaning you will need to apply for them, and go through an interview process.
What to expect during an apprenticeship?
- You don’t need prior experience! All you need to learn, can be done on the job.
- You can earn an income.
- You will gain new skills.
- You get to learn with lots of support and training.
- You can qualify with a Level 2 to Level 7 qualification.
How long is an apprenticeship?
- At minimum an apprenticeship duration is 12 months. This can vary depending on the type of apprenticeship you want to do, and what level you want to work towards.
What do apprenticeships pay?
- How much you will be paid will vary depending on your employer.
- Employers are legally required to pay an apprentice under the age of 19 the apprentice rate.
- If you are an apprentice, aged 19 or over, and have completed your first year, you are entitled to the national minimum wage for your age group.
Who can pursue an apprenticeship?
- Anyone! Whether you have come straight out of school or college ready to start your career. Or you’re just someone looking for a career change.
When do apprenticeships start?
- Unlike colleges and universities, apprenticeships are available all year round.
When to apply?
- This entirely depends on the employer or the training provider.
- Some employers have set windows where applications are opened and closed throughout the year.
- Some companies recruit apprentices to start immediately.
- Others will offer apprenticeships which you can apply to, all year round.
What happens once you’ve completed your apprenticeship?
- More often than not, many employers will offer you a permanent job after you’ve finished your apprenticeship.
- Depending on your career goals, you might decide to look elsewhere for a more advanced role.
- If you wanted to, you could look at completing a higher level apprenticeship in the field of work you are in.
Are you looking for a new opportunity? We offer a fantastic apprenticeship scheme for anyone wishing to pursue a career in childcare.
What do we offer?
Our apprenticeships offer first-hand experience of nursery life working alongside some of the best in the industry who will support you to develop the skills and knowledge to play a key role in the success of one of our nurseries.
We employ apprentices with the expectation that they will reach Level 3 in childcare. We also offer apprenticeships to our existing employees who wish to gain childcare and leadership qualifications. We have many success stories of employees who have progressed into senior management and leadership roles.
For more information on our apprenticeships and to apply, please see our website.
Check out our Careers Instagram and Facebook.